I hate the idea of measuring things by the calendar. Why does it really matter that we’re heading into a new year when it comes to our successes, failures, goals, etc? It’s probably pretty obvious I hate the idea of New Year’s resolutions. Yet, I continually find myself falling into the trap of seeing some weird line to be crossed tomorrow night. I think it’s all United/Continental’s fault for forcing me to stress and connive to be sure I hit the 100,000 mile mark before tomorrow. Damnit…I want those System Wide Upgrade certificates!
In any case, for lack of anything better to do I decided to sit back and look at the past year. I realize the stock market sucked. The economy sucked. The job market sucked. Year three of the 2012 presidential campaign sucked. But, overall 2011 was a pretty good year for me. I’m grateful for the experiences I had including:
- Traveling in 6 countries
- Visiting a new continent (well…new to me)
- Flying more than 114,000 miles
- Nearly dying of heat exhaustion and water deprivation
- Learning our family will be adding a new member in 2012 (go Baby Abbey!)
- Relaxing in a beach house on a Honduran island for a week
- Celebrating mom’s 60th and little sis’s 30th
- Making lots of new friends and reconnecting with old friends…all without facebook!
I really am grateful for all the time I got to spend with good friends and family. I really am fortunate to have the ability to travel and see the world and to do so with people whom I care about and have a blast with.
So, here’s to an even better 2012. Everyone should make the most of our remaining time. December 21 will be here before we know it!